Patrick Bamford said Leeds had been “deprived of a point” after the striker failed to sign in Friday’s 1-0 loss against Wolverhampton Wanderers.
The home side took the lead after an hour when Adama Traore shot over the bar from distance, but the ball bounced into the Leeds goal via a header from Illan Meslier.
Bamford thought he had equalized when he headed towards goal and finished it brilliantly, but he was declared offside and the video assistant referee agreed that it was the right decision.
In November, Bamford was awarded a VAR goal in the 4-1 defeat to Crystal Palace after he was offside after raising his hand to pass, and the 27-year-old was again offended by this technological decision.
“It’s unfortunate for the boys tonight, trailing by one point,” he tweeted, before adding sarcastically, “But at least it’s a better game, we’ll do it again on Tuesday.
The visitors had a good chance even before Meslier’s goal when Rui Patricio’s header from long range was blocked by Liam Cooper, before Bamford’s next shot was cleared.
Former winger Helder Costa also had a golden opportunity in the final minute, but he shot straight at Patricio.
With the win, Wolves overtook Leeds and moved up to 11th place as they continue their recovery from a declining form. They have now won three of their last four Premier League games.
It was the second win in a row for Leeds after the 4-2 loss against Arsenal, but it was a flat game in which they were unlucky to concede a goal and fail to score themselves.
“All the results of the match are in our favor. Possession, dominance and luck,” said Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa.
“We had twice as many chances to score goals as they did, but we failed.
Wolves turn the tide after a bad spell ….
Nuno Espirito Santo praises winger Adama Traore.
The Wolves’ season may be the most difficult since their return to the top flight in 2018, where they had to contend with the absence of key striker Raul Jimenez for much of the season due to injury and a loss of form.
They have gone from the top six to the bottom half of the league table in eight Premier League games without a win, but that losing streak was interrupted by a victory over Arsenal in early February and they have not lost since.
They turned against Leeds and impressed again on the excellent Pedro Netto.
In Jimenez’s absence, the 20-year-old Portuguese international filled in with five goals and four assists.
Neto was at his best in the first half as he took several shots on goal, including a fingertip save from Mesliere.
With the return of the Wolves and their confidence, Neto in particular could continue to flourish as Nuno Espirito Santo’s men regain their eyes in European squares.
Nuno said, “We still have a lot to evaluate, but the approach we have in these difficult moments – always believe, always commit – you can’t say anything about the players’ attitude.
“We follow the high standards we have, and we want to continue to do that.”
Leeds feel the absence of Phillips
Leeds is struggling with a long list of injuries, but the absence of Calvin Phillips is a particularly hard blow.
With him they had a 50% winning percentage this season, but without him that has dropped to 17% and his absence was felt against the Wolves.
Leeds’ attacking style will lead to some chances – like against Wolves, where they were unlucky not to take a point because they turned up late – but without Phillips it will be difficult to control the midfield.
The visitors gave the ball away too often in midfield in the first half and could have been punished for an unfortunate own goal.
With 32 points from 24 games, Leeds are well on course to play in the Premier League next season, but one of the priorities this summer will surely be finding a suitable replacement for Phillips.
Marco Bielsa said the absence of Calvin Phillips was not a factor in the Wolves’ defeat.
Meslier writes history – Statistics
- Wolves have won seven of their last nine league games against Leeds United (L2) and are unbeaten in nine such games at Molineux (W6 D3) after losing 2-0 in September 1973.
- None of the last 19 non-league games ended in a draw – the longest period without a draw since the 20th round of play, from November 2002 to November 2003.
- The Wolves are the first team to unseat Marcelo Bielsa in the top division, after the 2014/15 season saw Montpellier and Paris Saint-Germain beat Marseille in Ligue 1 home and away.
- This is only Wolves’ second win in the Premier League by an own goal (1-0). The second came in January 2011 when Jose Bosingwa scored against Chelsea. It was the first time Leeds lost 1-0 in the Premier League after an own goal.
- Leeds’ Illan Meslier (20 years and 354 days) has become the youngest goalkeeper to score an own goal in the Premier League.
- Wolves goalkeeper Rui Patricio had to make seven saves to keep his zero. The last Wolves goalkeeper to make more saves in a Premier League match while keeping the zero was Marcus Hahnemann against Everton in March 2010, when he made nine saves.
What is the next step?
Leeds take on Southampton in the Premier League on Tuesday, February 23 (18:00 GMT), before the Wolves travel to Newcastle on Saturday, February 27 (20:00 GMT).
The player of the game
Rui Patricio Rui Patricio
The Wolverhampton Wanderers
- Team number 11Player nameRui Patricio
- Name of player in team number 8Ruben Nevis
- Name of the player of team number 7Pedro Neto
- Team number 37Player name
- Team number16Player nameCoady
- Team number22Player nameNelson Semedo
- Team number 27Players nameSeiss
- Team number19 Player nameJohnny
- Team number 28. The name of the player is Joan Moutinho.
- Team number 12The name of the player is Willian Jose
- Team number32Player nameDendoncker
- Team number 17Player nameFabio Silva
- Team number3Players nameAit-Nuri
- Team number 5 Player nameMarsal
- Team number18Player nameRafinha
- Team number1Player nameSir
- Team number 15Player nameDallas
- Team number9 Player nameBamford
- Team Number6 Player NameCooper
- Team number 21Player nameStruyk
- Team number 2Player name illness
- Team number46Players name Shackleton
- Team number 11Player nameRoberts
- Team number43Player nameKlich
- Team number 19Pablo Hernandez
- Team number 22Player name Garrison
- Team number10Player nameAlioski
- Squadron number 17Veteran’s nameSenior Costa
22Nelson Semedo8Neves28Joan Moutinho19Castro Otto
- Muy Patricio.
- 22 Nelson Semedo
- 28 Joan Moutinho
- 19Castro OttoReplaced by Marsalat 60 minReplaced by Ait-Nuriat 82 min
- 7Not reserved for 90Minutes
- 12Da SilvaReplaced byFábio Silvabei 87’min
- 2 However
- 17 Fabio Silva
- 18 White Gibbs
- 46Replaced by Hernandez at 66’min
- 43KlichReplaced by Alioskiat 81 min.
- 22HarrisonReplacement of Elder Kostaat 81 minutes
- 13 Casilla
- 14 Llorente
- 17Heller Costa
- 19 Hernandez
- 47 Jenkins.
- End of match: Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, Leeds United 0.
- End of second half, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, Leeds United 0.
- Corner, Leeds United. Awarded: Rui Patricio.
- One attempt missed. Raphinha (Leeds United)’s header from the center of the box is close range but misses to the right. Assisted by Luke Ayling who kicks the ball in.
- Attempted save. Hélder Costa (Leeds United) shoots with his right foot from the center of the box and misses.
- Pedro Neto (Wolverhampton Wanderers) receives a warning from the referee.
- Corner, Wolverhampton Wanderers. The corner is blocked by Pascal Struyk.
- Attempt blocked. Fábio Silva (Wolverhampton Wanderers) rattles off a shot on the right that is blocked on the edge of the box.
- Attempt blocked. Tyler Roberts (Leeds United), whose right footed shot is blocked on the edge of the box. Ezgjan Alioski assists.
- Luke Ayling (Leeds United) is penalized after committing a foul.
- Ryan Ait-Noury (Wolverhampton Wanderers) takes a free kick on the left wing.
- Substitute: Wolverhampton Wanderers. Fabio Silva (in) comes off the bench to replace Willian Jose.
- Pascal Struyk (Leeds United) is penalized after committing a foul.
- Romain Saiss (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is awarded a free kick on the opponent’s half.
- Corner, Leeds United. Blocked by Leander Dendonker.
- A failed attempt from the outside is missed. Joao Moutinho (Wolverhampton Wanderers) shoots with his right foot from the center of the box and misses to the bottom left corner. Assisted by Willian Jose.
- Substitute: Wolverhampton Wanderers. Ryan Ait-Noury replaces Marsala due to injury.
- Substitution: Leeds United. Elder Costa replaces Jack Harrison.
- Replaced, Leeds United. Ezgjan Alioski replaced Mateusz Klicz.
- Mateusz Klich (Leeds United) is penalized after committing a foul.
Privacy settings,How Search works,leeds vs wolves results,leeds vs wolves commentators,wolverhampton wanderers vs leeds united prediction,wolves vs leeds live stream,wolves v leeds prediction,leeds vs wolves prediction,wolves v leeds tv,wolves vs leeds tv channel