Wolverhampton Wanderers beat Crystal Palace to reach the fourth round of the FA Cup thanks to a special goal from a special player, coach Nuno Espirito Santo said.
Adama Traore’s goal on the left wing was crucial for the hosts against a very inconsistent Palace side.
For his shot from the edge of the box, the Spanish winger had been on the scoresheet since the 27th minute. February 2020 doesn’t strike again for the Wolves.
I am very happy because I think this goal will boost his confidence, Nuno said.
On a night when the quality of the finish was lacking, the Wolves manager turned around after a brilliant stop from Traore and said wow to his bench.
The 24-year-old fired in from the right and fired a powerful shot past the Palace guard, Jack Butland.
He has worked very hard in training and that’s why I’m so happy. It was a special goal from a special player, Nuno added.
We have to be patient with everyone. It has been a tough season for everyone, all teams, players and managers. You can see how the situation affects everyone.
Adama is a versatile player who can play in many different positions and we are sure he will make an impact every time he is on the pitch.
The Wolves, who usually hit the first pick, dominated possession and could have won by a wide margin had it not been for a few unnecessary finishes.
Palace, who made nine changes after their Premier League win over Sheffield United, failed to produce a single penalty.
Eagles coach Roy Hodgson did poorly in his technical area and watched as his side dared to come off their own half in the first half.
While Palace got better at the game after the break, Wilfried Zaha and Andros Townsend missed their comeback after being replaced at the end of the match.
I thought we had a lot of control in the second half, but we were the target, to an incredible goal, said former England boss Hodgson.
We’ve been hit by several of them in recent weeks. It meant the wolves could sit and defend themselves, which they did well.
Formation of a 4-3-3
22 Nelson Semedo16Coadi27Saïss3Ait-Noury
- 22 Nelson Semedo
- 3Aït-NouriBookable in 66min
- 32DendonkerReplaced for Hoverat 85’min
- 28 Joan Moutinho
- 37TraoreSubstitution of Gibbs-Whitat in 69’minBocking in 85.min
- 17Fabio SilvaSubstituted for Cutronein 78’min
- 2 But
- 11Ruy Patricio
- 18 White Gibbs
- 17 clinic
- 12SahoSubstituted for Cuyateat 45 minutes
- 3From Anholt
- 9J Ayew.
- 22McCarthyRemoved at 62’minRemoved by Mitchell at 70’min
- 20BentekeSubstitution of Zahaat 70 min.
- 23Batshuayi replaced by Townsendat 85’Min.
- 2D District
- 31 gwaith
- Game over, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, Crystal Palace 0.
- End of second half, Wolverhampton Wanderers 1, Crystal Palace 0.
- Corner, Crystal Palace. Brought to you by Ruben Neves.
- Offside, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Joao Moutinho plays a forward pass, but Ki-Jana Hoover is offside.
- Substitute, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Ki-Yana Hoover replaces Leander Dendonker.
- Replacement, Crystal Palace. Andros Townsend takes over from Michy Batshuayi.
- Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolverhampton Wanderers) has been booked for offense.
- Morgan Gibbs-White (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is penalised after committing a foul.
- Jordan Ayew (Crystal Palace) hits a free kick in the opponent’s half.
- Corner, Crystal Palace. Prepared by Romain Saiss.
- Attempt blocked. Patrick van Aanholt’s (Crystal Palace) left-footed shot was blocked by the edge of the box.
- Corner, Crystal Palace. Prepared by Joao Moutinho.
- Attempt blocked. Patrick van Aanholt’s (Crystal Palace) left-footed shot was blocked by the edge of the box. Sponsored by Ebereca Eze.
- Patrick Catron (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is penalised after committing a foul.
- James Tomkins (Crystal Palace) is awarded a free kick in the opposite half.
- Rúben Neves (Wolverhampton Wanderers) is penalised after committing a foul.
- Wilfried Zaha (Crystal Palace) is awarded a free kick in the opposite half.
- Offside, Crystal Palace. Ebereki Eze plays a forward pass but Michy Batshuayi is caught offside by the referee.
- Substitute, Wolverhampton Wanderers. Patrick Catrone replaces Fabio Silva.
- The attempt has failed. Pedro Neto’s (Wolverhampton Wanderers) left-footed shot from the centre of the box was close, but missed on the right. After a short break he is supported by Ruben Neves.
- Broadcast eight FA Cup third round matches live on iPlayer, the sports website and app this weekend. For more information, click here.